Young People’s Support

Young People’s Support

Who is the service for?

Our service is available to any young person between the ages of 13-21* who has experienced sexual violence. This includes rape, historic abuse, sexual exploitation, on-line abuse, sexual assault and sexual harassment.

What does the support look like?

Counselling is a confidential safe place for young people to explore feelings and behaviours that are impacting on their lives. Devon Rape Crisis and Sexual Abuse Services particularly works with the effects of trauma caused by sexual violence.
The sessions are usually for one hour with a specially trained counsellor. They are held at the same time and on the same day each week.
Young people often say that they find it helpful to talk to someone who understands what they have been through, in a place that feels safe and non-judgemental.

Where does the support take place?

You can choose to have your support sessions in person with one of our counsellors at one of our three bases in Exeter, Torquay or Barnstaple.

Or you can do the sessions online or by phone.

It's entirely up to you and we find all three methods are very effective. Some people like to come to a neutral location and do their sessions in person in a safe space. Others prefer to be at home in surroundings they are familiar with, and meet their counsellor online. Some people like the anonymity of a phone call. You may find that doing the sessions online fits better with your school/college timetable as you don't need to travel.

Our counsellors work 9am-5pm Monday to Friday and also until 9pm on Wednesday evenings. We will try and find a slot that fits with your timetable.

Do my parent / school / college need to know?

No….We are a confidential service, you can call us yourself if you want to get support from us. We will invite you to an initial appointment where we will look more at your needs and what we offer to make sure the service is right for you.

*You can access this service if you are over 21 but still studying in full-time education for an undergraduate degree or college qualification. Over 21s can access our Specialist Support Service for adults.