We are working with our sister organisations Somerset and Avon Rape and Sexual Abuse Support, The Women’s Centre Cornwall and Gloucestershire Rape and Sexual Abuse Centre to launch an exciting new project, funded by Comic Relief, looking at the needs and experiences of women over 55, across the South West of England, who have experienced sexual violence.
Based on census research and the statistic that 1 in 5 women will be impacted by sexual violence, we estimate that there are around 176,000 survivors of rape, sexual assault or sexual abuse, over the age of 55, living in the South West of England.
Working with our sister centres we aim to identify and reduce barriers to specialist support for these women by:
• conducting a needs assessment across the South West
• seeking input from women 55+ through focus groups
• creating support and information resources for women 55+
• raising awareness of the issue and myths surrounding sexual violence related to women 55+
• collaborating and creating ongoing relationships with aged care services to provide clear pathways of support for women over 55 who have experienced sexual violence.
Would you like to be involved?
If you are a woman 55 or older who lives in the South West, you can fill out our survey. We would love to hear your thoughts! To complete the survey please click on the link below.
We would also really appreciate if you could share this link.